Little Lids Siobhan

Friday, February 19, 2016

Craft Fairs




There is great nerves and anticipation for Craft Fairs. Its a great time to showcase your work but can be nervewracking meeting new people and having them stand and examine your works. I have taken part in a few over the last few years and along the way I have picked up some tips which might help other crafters out.

As I make crochet items most of my fairs are Winter / Christmas period.

Promote:
  • When booking ask the event organisers if they have any advertising budget and plans. I have gone to a few  fairs where the organisers had done no advertising or promotion of the event and I in return didn't even make enough money to cover the price of the stall.
  • Create events on your page for the upcoming fairs and invite people. Make sure and let them know all the details and website / Facebook page if available.   https://www.facebook.com/littlelidssiobhan
  • Promote yourself on selling pages / local pages for that area so people will know you are there.



Location Location:
  • Is your event inside or outside, make sure and dress for the occasion and the weather. I find for outdoor fairs (which I usually do in around the Winter / Christmas period) that layers are best. That way if you get hot or cold you can work accordingly.
  • Bring a spare pair of socks in your bag, they will help if you get cold or you can change during the day to freshen up. 
  • Research the area if possible and ensure you have parking space and change for if it has to be paid for.





Essentials
  • Scissors
  • Markers
  • Business Cards
  • Sellotape
  • Bags - I usually keep any shopping bags / gift bags I get during the year and reuse if anyone asks for a bag.
  • Banner
  • Chair / Stool
  • Food / Snack and a drink
  • A project to work on. I always try and make some items if it is quite. Also I find people like to see you at work and it helps engage them into your stall and products.
  • an essential for me is a mirror for people to see the hats on themselves.

Don't :
  • Don't chew gum, its just bad manners when people are speaking to you.
  • Don't ever argue with a potential customer, even if you don't agree with their comments or opinion try end the conversation on a positive note. 
  • Don't leave any litter or belongings behind when you leave.


Do:
  • I know it can be a long day but I do find it better to be standing at your table. It is easier to see people and greet them.
  • Say hello and interact with as many people as possible.
  • Make sure you are clean and presentable, exercise hygiene where appropriate i.e handling food and money. 
  • Say hello to other stall holders, swap business cards and later check on their website, facebook etc and make connections. That way you can build a network and help promote other businesses. You will also find out from other stall holders other events they have attended and if they were successful or not.
  • I encourage people to try on my hats or feel the wool. I find its easier to make a sale with someone who is holding your item and engaged with your products.







Don't be afraid to give that personal touch or attention to detail, this is exactly what will make the difference and help boost your sales.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. This is something I am going to do this year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Julie, best of luck and I would love to hear how you get on.

      Delete
  2. Great and very comprehensive advice. Not always possible, but ask for a plan of the room/field. There are 'dead spots' sometimes, where the footfall is less and your stall ignored. You can be cheeky and ask for a place everyone has to pass early on in their round of the stalls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and Yes always speak up and ask for a good spot. Most places understand and are more than willing to accommodate you where possible.

      Delete
  3. Thanks. This is very helpful. I sell toys and games online and have on occasions had a stall at markets.It's really hit and miss when it comes to making money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. Yes it can be very hit and miss. I find networking and doing some research into the upcoming markets useful.

      Delete
  4. A great write-up of advice. I've not done any faires yet, and know that, because of my health/disabilities I wouldn't be able to stand. On discussing this with a friend once when thinking about doing a fair she suggested that one of these stools/chairs with a gas lift mechanism would help as they can be set higher than just using an ordinary chair from the venue, thus making it easier for people to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Siobhan, this was a great help... I am from India and shifted to Dublin two years back. I had my own small set up back in India and now i am looking forward to take part here in such markets. I have small colourful hanging puppets, footwear, small deco stuff. Can you pls guide me how to go ahead and where can i take part?? Thanks in advance..

    ReplyDelete